Gay Primary Source

Monday, June 1, 2009

Ex-VP Supports Gay Marriage

"Well, I think freedom means freedom for everyone. And, as many of you know, one of my daughters is gay, and something that we’ve lived with for a long time, in our family. I think people ought to be free to enter into any kind of union they wish - any kind of arrangement they wish. The question of whether or not there oughta be a federal statute that governs this - I don't support. I do believe that historically the way marriage has been regulated is at the state level. This has always been a state issue, and I think that’s the way it oughta be handled today, that is, on a state-by-state basis, different states’ll make different decisions. But I don't have any problem with that. I think people oughta get a shot at that, and they do at present." Former Vice President Dick Cheney, Gerald Ford Journalism Awards, National Press Club, June 1, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment